so he wont be the next coach at JIB?
One of the area's top basketball coaches and master strategists has resigned his post.
Aaron Williams confirmed Tuesday that he has stepped down after seven seasons as the head boys basketball coach at Castlewood High School.
Williams recently accepted a job with the Norton City school system to teach math. He will begin pursuing his master's degree this fall and take some time off from coaching.
"It was really more from a personal side,"? Williams said of his decision.
The Indiana native certainly left his mark at Castlewood. The Blue Devils compiled a 133-50 record during Williams' tenure and qualified for the Virginia High School League Group A state tournament on two occasions.
Williames served as the head girls coach at Abingdon and as an assistant on the Abingdon boys team, before taking the job at Castlewood.
"I always thought Castlewood was a pretty good basketball school,"? Williams said. "That was one of the reasons I went there. That goes way back. Buddy Poole coached there for 19 years and Randy [Poole] coached there for 16 years. So, there was a pretty good program in place.
"They had a Little League program and nice facilities. When I was in Abingdon, there were about 4-5 places I wrote down that I would like to coach and that was one of them."?
It turned out to be an excellent move on both sides. Williams' teams were known as some of the most fundamentally sound in Southwest Virginia and the Blue Devils emerged as a perennial contender in the Cumberland District and Region D.
Williams also earned a reputation as one of the area's top coaches, due to his preparation and game strategies.
The first of back-to-back state tournament appearances in 2007 marked the school's first state tourney berth in 19 years.
"After about that third year, I knew it looked like were going to have a pretty good run,"? Williams said.
Williams also keeps in touch with most of his former players and noted that a majority of them have gone on to college.
"You hope you plant some good seeds,"? Williams said. "Sometimes the harvest, you don't know how it turns out until years down the road. We were able to win and it was good to do that, but it's also good to watch kids get an education that can help them their whole life."?
Williams becomes the second high profile hoops coach from Southwest Virginia to resign in the last few months. George Wythe's Al Copenhaver stepped down shortly after leading the Maroons to the VHSL Group A, Division 2 state title in March.
"To be the man, you've got to beat the man."
so he wont be the next coach at JIB?
I would say he will be the new head coach at JIB in the next 2 years.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
I agree with Stripes.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thetruth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with Stripes. </div></div>
Yeah, me too. I'd say he will be the coach in the 09-10 season.
"We cannot expect the Americans to jump from capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving Americans small doses of socialism until they suddenly awake to find they have Communism."
- Soviet Leader Nikita Khrushchev, 1959
Welcome to the USSA!
All that obsessing wore him down. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
[IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]
I'm guessing we have the next Burton coach for sure now. Good get for them.
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.
i always thought taht doug campbell was gonna be the next coach. no offence to coach wilson but basketball is a young mans sprot and norton basketball needs some new blood
Coach Wilson knows more than any of those coaches know, so i dont agree with that comment at all...I dont know if he's coming back this year and if he does i expect that to be his last..but if yall are saying williams is going to take a few years off then Coach Campbell will have to take the job, i expected him to anyway
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raider13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coach Wilson knows more than any of those coaches know, </div></div>
Williams is 6 times the coach Wilson is....
Not saying in his day Wilson wasn't a good coach, but today, June 12th, 2008, Williams is in the hunt for best coaching option in Region D....He doesn't get the praise Vermillion gets, but he also has never had the talent or school size Vermillion has had...
Need A Penny? Take A Penny...Need 2 Pennies? Get A Job!!!
[img]http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/sports_photos/College/Football/james-davis-GI.jpg[/img]
Bookmarks